4 Indiana Giant Whitetails

To get you dreaming for this November, check out these 4 monsters killed in Indiana last season. Big Deer Hunt Team member Dean Weimer sent them as a reminder that I need to get my butt out to his state and hunt, finally, for the first time. We are trying to set it up. There is hardly a better place I could go. According to the  latest Boone & Crockett data, Indiana is the #7 trophy state in the U.S., with an impressive 195 book entries from 2005-2010. Compare that to 1980-1985, when Indiana ranked 16th in the nation with only 14 entries, and it tells you the good old days of big-buck hunting are here.

I know that you would gladly shoot any of these giants, but which rack is your favorite? comment

Comments
shane's Gravatar I love to see big bucks come from my home state awsome deer since the one buck rule has come in effect really noticing more big bucks being takin .
# Posted By shane | 5/8/12 10:49 AM
David in NC's Gravatar #1 is my favorite. There's beauty in the perfect symmetry, and white rack. Tall brow tines along with perfect alignment give it that ribcage look.

The others may score higher, but that one suits my eye.
# Posted By David in NC | 5/8/12 11:10 AM
David in NC's Gravatar BTW, I love to see big Indiana whitetails because that is my one consistent out of state trip each year.

On a side note, I think these were the last 4 big ones left. That's right, they're all gone - no big deer in Indiana!
# Posted By David in NC | 5/8/12 11:13 AM
thepeavine's Gravatar Awesome bucks!! I'd still be smiling after taking any of those!
# Posted By thepeavine | 5/8/12 12:07 PM
Craig C's Gravatar 3rd One Down Great Typical...Heck There All Great Bucks!!!!
# Posted By Craig C | 5/8/12 12:19 PM
Cary Dion's Gravatar #2 for me, non-typical is well, non-typical, need something on the wall that is different than the rest hanging on the wall.
# Posted By Cary Dion | 5/8/12 1:01 PM
jjas's Gravatar As a Hoosier, I have to tell you Mike you've been scammed. There aren't any big bucks in Indiana and you'd be better off
in Illinois or Iowa.....LOL....

Just kidding...good luck this fall if you hunt in Indiana. You should try an xbow hunt. That's new for 2012.
# Posted By jjas | 5/8/12 1:52 PM
Derek from ND's Gravatar I love that beautiful typical 5x5 on the top. What a beauty. Of course none would get a free pass by me.
# Posted By Derek from ND | 5/8/12 2:44 PM
backstrap's Gravatar All great bucks but if I had to pick ... I'd go with #3, high wide and handsome! Any word on the counties involved?
# Posted By backstrap | 5/8/12 3:07 PM
Dean Weimer's Gravatar Actually, I do agree with Jim on this one. Honestly, Illinois and Iowa (especially Iowa...of those two) are still producing more overall "book" deer than Indiana. My friends in Illinois are now starting to comment that Indiana may surpass Illinois eventually. Their reasoning is that they are a two buck state (soon to be a 3 Buck State if legislation passes...I'm told). While Indiana has made gains (as Hanback's research points out) we are still only #7. That means there are 6 states in front of us.

Anyone want to guess who #s 1-6 are?
# Posted By Dean Weimer | 5/8/12 4:41 PM
Dean Weimer's Gravatar 1. Wisconsin, 2. Illinois, 3 Iowa, 4. Ohio, 5. Missouri, 6. Kentucky
# Posted By Dean Weimer | 5/8/12 4:45 PM
jjas's Gravatar While Dean is correct, one thing Indiana offers that Iowa and Illinois doesn't.....cheap, over the counter tags. I kinda wish Indiana would
change that, but I don't see it happening anytime soon.

Better get in while the gettings good Mike......
# Posted By jjas | 5/8/12 6:02 PM
David in NC's Gravatar Yep. Indiana and Ohio are the best deal going for out of state tags.
# Posted By David in NC | 5/8/12 7:02 PM
Frank E. Huff's Gravatar Congrats!! to all these hunters. #1 Is my favorite -monster typical ,gerat mass and great brows!! I never get tired of looking at deer. Good luck Mike! Frank
# Posted By Frank E. Huff | 5/8/12 7:34 PM
Rodger's Gravatar Look like high fence deer to me.
# Posted By Rodger | 5/8/12 9:02 PM
cody hunter's Gravatar the days of indiana being a sleeper state are just about over....i love hunting here
# Posted By cody hunter | 5/8/12 9:42 PM
# Posted By cody hunter | 5/8/12 9:44 PM
nate's Gravatar Rodger if you think these are high fence deer then you obviously have never hunted a state where large free ranging deer are. Just because a deer is big doesn't mean its from a high fence ranch. I find it incredibly offensive that you can't give these lucky hunters any credit!!
# Posted By nate | 5/9/12 12:40 AM
Greg's Gravatar No way them are INDIANA Deer.....Indiana has to long of gunseason and they also gun hunt the RUT!!!!!!!
# Posted By Greg | 5/9/12 2:53 AM
Brian in Noblesville's Gravatar I've GOT to start hangin out with Dean more often! I hunted hard over the past couple seasons and sure didn't see any like these four, but congrats to everyone involved! I personally like the 1st one - the white rack really looks sharp.

Lots of big deer roaming around Indiana - just not sure I have permission to hunt all the places they are hangin out. Course, if I keep letting all these spikes, 4pts and button bucks go, they'll eventually turn into BIG DEER, right?!? (That is if the cars or nearby hunters don't get them first!)

Thanks for sharing!
# Posted By Brian in Noblesville | 5/9/12 3:08 AM
BigBee, MD's Gravatar AWESOME foursome! #4 my fave. Old deer - dark bases and dark forehead. Just awesome!
# Posted By BigBee, MD | 5/9/12 12:55 PM
shane's Gravatar I live in dearborn county indiana pretty damn good deer hunting in this county other good counties ripley county , switzerland county, jefferson county, franklin county, mike hanback dont no if your a public land kinda guy but hoosier national forest is public land with about 200,000 or more and is not hunted as much as you might think worth checkin out i squirrel hunt in late september and let me tell ya few spots i go i always c atleast 1 or 2 140 150 class bucks every yr step hills deep hollers nice ridge tops with lots of last year deer sign i have never hunted deer there but i assure u its worth a shot for some one on a budget wantin to try indiana look into it i have been wanting to get up there and try it around the end of october beginning of november but i usely have trail cam pics of bucks i wanna get and have my heart set anyway just let yall no a few good spots around indiana worth checkin .
# Posted By shane | 5/10/12 1:43 AM
shane's Gravatar hey rodge those are huge deer and indiana has produced bigger bucks than those pictured just sayin in you might think there high fenced deer because you prolly dont go but once a yr and settle for what ever walks about not being patient enough to wait for a shooter i live indiana and hunt every chance i can believe me i would choose indiana over any state you threw at me because i no what grows in my home state it just keeps gettin better.
# Posted By shane | 5/10/12 2:01 AM