Need a Recipe: Grilled Deer Tenderloin

I just got a FedEx box of meat from the 11-pointer I shot on the Milk River, it had been in my friend Brian’s freezer since October. These packs of tenderloin were cold and perfectly thawed—just right to throw on the Weber (gas) this weekend!

It’s been awhile since I’ve cooked tenderloin (I’ve had my venison ground into burger). I really need to get outside and drink a few cold ones and grill it.

My question to you: Do you have a good marinade for me to try? Tips for grilling venison? Help a hunting brother out. comment

PS: Have a great and safe 4th, God bless America. And when you go back to work Tuesday, only 60-70 days to the season.

Comments
Curt's Gravatar Mike,
Here's what I do. My daughter refused to eat venison, until she tried this. I just cut it in 3/8" pieces. Toothpick a piece of peppered bacon to it. Put it on the grill with a little bit of soy sauce, salt & pepper. Easy & delicious. Making some for company this weekend. Have a good one.
# Posted By Curt | 7/1/11 1:26 PM
Cary Dion's Gravatar The grocery stores have tons of marinates to choose from these days. Pick one out that sounds good and/or experiment with different ones. Italian dressing is always a good backup. We wrap our tenderloins with bacon (after marinating) and secure with tooth picks or cooking twine. (must be wrapped tight) The same thing can be done with the back-straps. Then put on the BBQ and turn every once in a while. Yum-yum.

Andres marinate and sauce is a very good marinate if they sell it in your area.
# Posted By Cary Dion | 7/1/11 1:37 PM
Levi Banks's Gravatar I just had some marinated in soy sauce, a little oil, garlic, and ginger. Sliced and grilled as medallions. It was delicious, nothing wrong with bacon, but good deer doesn't need it. Make sure you take it off the grill while it's still at least a little pink and juicy. We ate this just the other night and my nearly 3 year old daughter was eating some of the other food on her plate so I asked her if she had tried her deer yet. She took a bite, liked it, then quickly ate the rest on her plate and said, "Mommy, I want some more deer!" It was a good fall so we have deer at least once a week if not more, prepared lots of different ways. I'm leery of many wild game recipes as it seems their goal is for you to not be able to taste the venison.
# Posted By Levi Banks | 7/1/11 2:52 PM
Wayne SFSD's Gravatar Easy... Think Filet.. Take the tenderloin and cut it as thick as a strip of bacon. Wrap bacon around venison and secure with tooth pick. Salt, pepper then sear both sides. Cook, low and slow until it is cooked to your preference. Enjoy!!
# Posted By Wayne SFSD | 7/1/11 4:26 PM
Big Daddy's Gravatar Skip the bacon as you eat venison for the low fat in red meat, soak in low salt soy salt for 3 hrs. and spray with Pam cooking spray after drying them on a paper towel place on a hot grill
# Posted By Big Daddy | 7/1/11 5:31 PM
Chad S.'s Gravatar IMO, Salt, Pepper, and medium rare on the grill. The cut is just too good to mess around with a marinade. Hot coals and a seared exterior are the key to quality preacher's meat. Save the marinades for the less choice cuts.
# Posted By Chad S. | 7/1/11 6:05 PM
flatlander's Gravatar marinate in Coke, parsley, basil, oregano, a little garlic pepper and season salt overnight then grill to just past rare....maybe medium rare then eat right away

or it that is too much work just put some Itallian dressing on them overnight, then grill the same.......... maybe drizzle a little honey and crushed red pepper on them right before their done if you like them kicked up a notch......

good stuff, you really can't go wrong, if they are from a big old buck I would marinate them.......if young doe........ salt, pepper, two minutes heat, gulp and smile :)
# Posted By flatlander | 7/1/11 6:28 PM
Rodger's Gravatar Hey, Mike, why not stay inside and chicken fry those suckers. Delicious.
# Posted By Rodger | 7/1/11 6:46 PM
Jerad's Gravatar Wow great tips guys, I always do my tenderloin in a iron skillet with red and green peppers and onions and then a fajita fest, some sliced tomato, limes, and some nopalitos (catus in a jar) side salad. Happy 4th to all on here.
# Posted By Jerad | 7/1/11 7:44 PM
DougInWisconsin's Gravatar My all-time favorite courtesy of my brother-in-law. This recipe makes enough for a couple of nice sized tenderloins.

Cut tenderloin into 3/4" thick medallions. Mix in a bowl: 1 stick melted butter, 1/3 cup soy sauce, 1 1/2 tsp. garlic powder, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1/2 tsp. celery salt, 1/2 cup vegetable oil, 1/3 cup ketchup, 1 1/2 tsp. accent, couple shakes Tabasco, 1/8 cup vinegar. Marinate the tenderloin medallions in the mixture for several hours up to one day on the counter at room temperature.

It's not diet food but it is easily the best venison/steak marinade I have ever tried!

It will flare up a bit.
# Posted By DougInWisconsin | 7/1/11 8:04 PM
fred's Gravatar I make my venison several ways, Sausages (Italian sweet and spicey, German Bratwurst) which are excelent to grill. Oldschool german goulash and sauerbratten are also favorites. But on the grill the backstraps are done as follows... I cut them into thick 1.5 inch thick slices and ensure all of them are uniform thickness, then use any type of steak rub... and mix with olive oil and set in the fridge for about 2 hours. Get the grill as hot as it will go, and do each steak about 3 mina side -- they come out PERFECT medium-rare. I make it all the time and my BBQ guests are amazed they are eating Bambi's grandfather...LOL!!!!
# Posted By fred | 7/2/11 11:27 AM
David in NC's Gravatar Cut in steaks 5-6" long. butterfly 3/4 of the way through. Marinate in fridge in worcestershire.

From there you have options. 1) Stuff with bleu cheese/ butter mixture wrap in bacon , salt/pepper. OR 2) roll in 1 cup of sugar inside and out. Stuff with a slice of cream cheese 1/2" thick and add sliced jalepenos to taste. wrap in bacon, salt/pepper. Very unique taste. OR 3) skip the butterfly and add liberal amounts of Sticky Fingers barbecue sauce before and after wrapping in bacon - this gives it a boneless ribs taste.

These are my 3 favorites to date.
# Posted By David in NC | 7/3/11 3:51 PM
David in NC's Gravatar Oh, and as mentioned always cook medium rare. I recommend over a good charcoal grill. You can tell when their done by squeezing them with your grillin' tongs. Rare meat is very spongy, when it starts to get a little firm it's done.
# Posted By David in NC | 7/3/11 3:54 PM
Fred's Gravatar Awesome Grillin marinades here.... Happy 4th Everyone!!!!
# Posted By Fred | 7/3/11 7:09 PM
Brian Doak's Gravatar Boy, lots of great ideas here. I have tried lots of the store marinades, rubs, or seasonings and they all do a good job. I'm with some of the guys, though - heck, backstraps are so good, why bother with the fancy flavors? If you've done a nice job removing all the tallow, you should be able to thaw, cook, and eat. If you have a favorite way of eating filet minion, then that is how I'd cook it.

I think I ought to get into the freezer for tomorrow...
# Posted By Brian Doak | 7/4/11 1:38 AM
thomas sabo's Gravatar In this modern and fashionable society, people are pursuing for thomas sabo cool, unique, stylish and innovative. Whether it is thomas sabo bracelet or fashion accessories all means a lot for modern society of today. Same is the case with trendy looking thomas sabo charms.
# Posted By thomas sabo | 7/5/11 4:05 AM
BJ's Gravatar Simple and Quick: Soak in Dales Marinade for about 30 minutes, then sprinkle some Montreal Steak seasoning on them and grill outdoors while enjoying the adult beverage of your choice (while recalling the hunt). Serve rare. Mighty tasty!
# Posted By BJ | 7/5/11 11:59 AM
bbarnette's Gravatar A very simple way to prepare venison steaks for the grill is to baste with olive oil and sprinkle a generous amount of McCormick's Montreal Steak Seasoning. Grill on one side for about 5 minutes, then turn and do the other side for about 4 minutes. Good stuff!
# Posted By bbarnette | 7/5/11 12:11 PM
Dennis LeMire's Gravatar I soak mine overnight in Ginger Ale soda than give them a light salt and pepper before tossing them on the grill. A heavy cold water rinse before soaking is always the first step of course.
# Posted By Dennis LeMire | 7/5/11 1:21 PM
Mack's Gravatar All the recipes are great. I just use Italian Dressing for 4 hours to a day or two. Can't over do. Then I wrap bacon around- toss on the grill. Let it catch fire(top off weber and when it goes out the bacon is charred, but the loin os perfectly done medium rare to mediun, depending on the closeness to the end of the loin. I cut the straps into 3 pieces. The true loins inside and over the kidneys are the filet makings- cit 1-1 1/4" thick and wrap in bacon. All fantastic as you know.
# Posted By Mack | 7/5/11 2:09 PM
kingb's Gravatar Lots of great ideas but it sounds like there is some confusion in the identification of the cuts of venison. Mike originally said tenderloin but but I'm betting it was actually the loin also commonly called backstraps. The tenderloin is located inside the body cavity against the bottom of the spine and after trimming ends up being about 12 inches long and and 3 inches in diameter. I have to agree with some of the above and while I love bacon, neither loins or tenderloins need it as long as you don't overcook. Gotta be pink in the middle.
# Posted By kingb | 7/6/11 12:52 PM
forum watch's Gravatar A number of us learn all of the compelling way you produce rewarding information through this blog and as well strongly encourage contribution from others on the area so my girl is in fact being taught a lot of things.
# Posted By forum watch | 8/8/11 4:38 AM